Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ice Cream Cake In a Jar

I wanted to do something different for my daughters 3rd birthday cake.  I am not the normal run of the mill mom.  I like to find something different and try it out.  Anyone can have a normal ol birthday cake.  But not many get an Ice Cream Cake In A Jar.




I'm not going to say this was easy, because it was very time consuming.  And I had a few set backs, but finally got it all worked out.

Step 1... Finding the right jar.  I used 16 oz and wish I would have used 12 oz instead. 

Step 2... I used the sterilize setting on the dishwasher to make sure they were all clean.  I put the flat part of the top in a bag used for delicate things in the washer so they wouldn't go all over the place.

Step 3... Baking bottom cake in the jar.  I got a white cake mix and added purple food coloring.  I then used a ladle so I had the same amount in each jar (Id say little less batter then you would use for a cupcake.)  I then baked them on 300 for about 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  I used a lower temp so they outside of the cake didnt brown.  I wanted the purple to be seen.  I only put in 9 at a time on a cookie sheet so they would have room around them to cook.  I don't know if it was necessary, but it worked.



Step 4... I let them cool completely.  I then put frozen yogurt, (mishap 1 was tyring to use regular ice cream) in a  quart Ziploc bag, cut the tip, and piped some into the jars.  Put the lid on and store them in the freezer.

Step 5... I made 2 more cakes.  I used chocolate and vanilla and did a swirl.  I put them in a baking sheet so it was larger then a 9x11.  Once it was cooled I used a circle cookie cutter the same size as the jar.  I then added the cake round to the jar, put the lid on, and in the freezer they went for a few days.




Step 6... On the day of the party I made whipped cream frosting and put it in the quart sized Ziploc bags to store.
*** 1 small box of pudding, any flavor you want.  I think Jell-o would work too.
*** About 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
     Add pudding and 2 cups of whipping cream in to bowl and whip.  Add the remaining as needed to get the right consistency.




Step 7... When it was cake time, I took the lids off and cut a corner of the bag and piped in the frosting and topped them with purple sugar.



They were so yummy and everyone enjoyed them. 

Happy Birthday Emma.  I hope you had as wonderful of a time at your party as I had planning it out.  I love you my little girl.  I'm blessed to be your mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment